A total of 93% of fleet operators would like to see witness cameras installed in all commercial vehicles, a snap poll by TrackCompare.co.uk has revealed.
The week-long survey drew a range of comments in response to the question Should all CVs be fitted with witness cameras?, including:
- Absolutely. All vehicles should have them as standard. It would wipe out the scum that carry out insurance fraud
- Personal vehicles should have them too, especially if it reduces insurance and helps settle claims
- I think it’s going to save on costs long-term
- I think so. I’m trialling one at the moment – the only one thing I would say is, it’s a shame they don’t run 24 hours a day
- Not sure
- Yes it will show if they fall asleep or cause an accident while using their phone or rolling a cigarette
Kjell Anderton, a TrackCompare director, said: “This survey is in line with our own experience. As online providers of Eyescan witness cameras, we’ve seen interest soar over the last few months.
“As such cameras are very successful at protecting against accident insurance claims we expect a big increase in sales over coming months.”
A survey of Road Haulage Association members held just before this year’s CV Show, showed more than half had fitted cameras and a further 35% appeared to be close to doing so.
The TrackCompare snap poll was held from May 22 – May 28. The question asked was As a fleet operator do you believe all CVs should be equipped with witness cameras? Ninety-three per cent (89) said yes, 7 per cent (7) said no.