Material Facts

Material facts are the answers that you give to the questions that an insurance company will ask you when they are processing your request for insurance cover. The ‘material facts’ you provide will be assessed according to the company criteria and be used when processing your application.

What Medical Conditions/Medications Need To Be Declared?

Certain medical conditions can affect your ability to drive and by law need to be reported to the DVLA. They also need to be disclosed to the insurance company before your policy begins. For more information on which conditions are included then please see the DVLA website. Please also be aware that medications such as anti depressants and other commonly used pharmaceuticals can cause drowsiness and interfere with your ability to operate a motor vehicle. Always check the label on medications before your operate a vehicle. The insurance company is likely to enquire about any medications you may be taking.

Who Counts As The Main Driver?

You need to be honest with your insurance company about who will be driving the vehicle the majority of the time. This is so your cover is as full as possible. If you take any action that is deemed to have invalidated your insurance, i.e. not been truthful about the material facts, then this could prove very costly.

What Counts As A Modification?

The most common modifications a vehicle usually has is alterations to the bodywork or exhaust but anything that changes a vehicle from the original manufacturers specification can be counted as a modification. Therefore, vehicles that have special apparatus or equipment fitted to them will fit into this category also. Please check with your insurance company if you have any doubts as to whether any part of your vehicle counts as having undergone a modification, as definitions can vary from company to company.

What Is A Vehicle Tracking System?

Tracking devices are really good at improving the safety of your vehicle because they enable the Police to ‘see’ the location of your vehicle should it be stolen. As it improves the recovery rates on stolen vehicles vastly, a lot of insurance companies will offer premium discounts if you have a vehicle tracking solution installed. Some vehicles do come with vehicle tracking systems installed but the majority don’t currently, so you will need to arrange this with a vehicle tracking supplier who will carry out the installation and provide you with a ‘fitment certificate’. You will usually need to provide this certificate to the insurance company in order for you to take advantage of the premium discounts.

What Is An Immobiliser?

Electronic immobilisers are devices that disable your vehicles engine when you are not operating it. Like Vehicle Tracking Systems, some cars do come with immobilisers but also you can get them installed by your local garage, who will give you a certificate with the details of the immobiliser system on it. You need to retain this certificate and may be required to provide a copy to the insurance company. Locks (like a Krooklok) are classed as ‘manual immobilisers’.

If you are looking into getting an immobiliser installed then you need to buy a ‘Thatcham approved’ immobiliser, as this is a recognised industry standard. There are two different types of Thatcham approved immobiliser systems, a T1 and a T2 system. T1 is a immobiliser that complies with Thatcham criteria and T2 is a combination of immobiliser and alarm that complies with Thatcham criteria.