Almost 30% of fleet operators eat and drink while driving, even though it is almost as dangerous as using a hands-free or handheld mobile phone and greatly increases the risk of being in or causing a collision.
This week’s TrackCompare.co.uk snap poll asked Do you drink and eat while driving? Seventy-one per cent (92) said no, 29% (38) said yes.
According to Lytx Europe, which specialises in driver safety services for commercial fleets, people who eat and drink while driving are 3.6 times more likely to be involved in an accident than drivers who do not because of the distraction it causes.
The company’s data shows drivers who use a hands-free device are 4.6 times more likely to be involved in a collision, compared with 4.7 times for smartphone or tablet users.
Comments left in response to the poll question Do you eat and drink while driving? included:
• Occasionally but not all the time
• All the time
• More habit than anything, especially as the drivers are all on long drives
• Confession time: yes I do. I work long hours so it’s practical for me
• All the time, unfortunately
• Unfortunately, I am a culprit
• Sometimes (left by four respondents)
• When I have a long day I have no option as I cannot stop
• I admit this is something I do all the time. Lol.
• No. I know someone who nearly ended up in a massive accident because of this stupid behaviour
• All the time – habit of a lifetime
• No, never
• Not really – sometimes
• I have to admit I am a culprit of this
• Not really, I have sweets. Does that count?
• Yes, I do – sometimes
• All the time, and all my drivers do as well – all six of them
• Yes (left by two respondents)
Kjell Anderton, a TrackCompare.co.uk director, said: “Munching a sandwich or sipping coffee – now sold at virtually every service station – seems such an innocent thing to do. But, of course, it’s not.
“The fact the poll showed almost thirty per cent of fleet drivers eat and drink at the wheel should deeply concern us. The dangers need to be highlighted, and urgently.”
*The TrackCompare.co.uk snap poll was held from June 19-25. The question asked was Do you eat and drink while driving? 71% (92) said no, 29% (38) said yes.